A Message for Ellen
April 13, 2022
On the Abraham’s Table interfaith podcast that FLPC is sponsoring, Rabbi Case, Imam Shaheed and I just completed a series of podcasts on spiritual disciplines. Each of us took a session to talk about the spiritual disciplines and practices that our faiths teach. And what was compelling to me was the realization that all our faiths teach practices aimed at connecting us with God, self, and the other, and that unless our spiritual practices help put God at the center of our lives, then the practices are useless.
Observance and the celebration of Easter is THE central spiritual practice for those who claim Christ as Lord. So, plan to worship with other Christians on Sunday – hopefully at FLPC! We will livestream for those who need to worship remotely, but if you are able, please come in person. It makes a difference. Our corporate worship is supposed to change us from the inside out and realign us with God’s plan and purpose for the world. Easter tells us that God’s plan and purpose is love and redemption.
And if our purpose is also love and redemption, then I have a few more fun and wonderful suggestions for some spiritual practices.
- Kirkin’ of the Tartans – Sunday, April 24th – join us for a loud (read bagpipes!), colorful celebration of our Scottish Presbyterian heritage. Worship is at 10, and we will be hosting a covered dish luncheon right after worship. The meat and drinks will be provided, but I hope you will come and bring a side dish or dessert to share.
- Serve & Connect COMPASS meeting – April 27th. Register to attend using the links on the website under News & Events. You can come to the program at 6pm, and there is an optional light supper from 5:30-6 also. This is where we begin to dream about how to be a GOOD NEWS people in our own back yard. Come learn more about what a COMPASS site may be, and hear more from our police partners.
- Earth Day – Sunday, May 1st – Our worship will center around the theme for the day: Love All God’s Creatures!, and following worship everyone is invited to the Fellowship Hall to see and to learn from community partners and exhibits about ways to care for what God has made. There is always a lot of energy and great ideas at this event, and free things to take home.
- Wednesday, May 11th, the Education Ministry has approved holding an interfaith “live podcast” of Abraham’s Table. Rabbi Case, Imam Shaheed and I will participate in a panel discussion led by Dr. Walter Edgar. This is a free event for all three congregations where we hope to build on our podcast discussions and build community with new and old friends. Please plan to attend. More details to come.
I could continue, but space does not allow me to list even more opportunities for us to live our faith. Come and see! And may your Easter celebration be a real encounter with the risen Lord. See you in worship!
Ellen Fowler Skidmore
- 6/8/23 Devotional from Ed June 8, 2023
- A Message from Ellen 6-7-23 June 7, 2023
- 5/30/23 Devotional from Ed May 30, 2023
- 5/25/23 Devotional from Ed May 25, 2023
- A Message from Ellen 5-24-23 May 24, 2023